Since I got it for Christmas and have already finished it I thought I should post a review.
The game is called, “Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d you steal our garbage?!” and it is about $29.95 for both the DS and the 3DS.
Being a huge Adventure Time fan I couldn’t wait to play the game even though I had read some so so reviews about it before it had come out. But like any game, Adventure Time too has its pros and cons.
1. Game was WAY too short. I think I’ve played longer games of Tetris! (And I’m not even good at Tetris). All jokes aside, the story was pretty straightforward and you basically had to follow the storyline. No open world capabilities made it a little boring. If it had a few substories thrown into the mix I’m sure it would have been a lot more enjoyable.
2. The enemies that Finn and Jake come across are puny, at best. Not really a threat to your life but more just annoying to get through. I’m pretty sure I’ve died more times missing jumps rather than from enemy encounters. Although, for making the enemies weak they sure do make the bosses surprisingly strong. I was pretty confused as to what was going on at first. But I just figured that was how the game was designed.
3. There is nothing to do after you finish the game except to play the game over again but with your saved stats. But with the lack of substories or alternate quests it doesn’t matter if you have all your stats saved because it doesn’t really make any sense to play through it again. Instead of leveling up with Boss battles, enemy encounters and such like in Pokemon, leveling up seems to be pretty systematic and predetermined. Bleh.
1. The game has pretty cute graphics and all your favorite Adventure Time characters floating around everywhere. Finn does an adorable dance when he wins a fight or gets an item.
2. The story is very well written. For those who are used to crazy Adventure Time antics this game will be a barrel of laughs. Who else would think of making an Adventure out of searching for their missing garbage can? The Ice King’s attempt to make several garbage princesses is pretty amusing as well.
In conclusion, I think this is a cute simple game for kids or for those who want a non-thinking game to play while they’re bored, on a plane, or waiting for their next class. It is what it is and I don’t regret asking for it because I enjoyed all I could out of it.
Here’s a link to a gameplay video for those of you who are interested in the game: